Sunday, June 7, 2009

Biscuits


Ah Sunday mornings. The birds are singing, the sun is shining, and my favorite yoga class of the week is at 11:00am on Sundays...but I went to Biscuits with Brian. Instead of down dogging, I'm downing french toast. Hey, in my defense, we had serious yard work to do today, hauling around 60 million pounds of mulch and I needed the carbs.


Biscuits is easy to overlook located in a strip mall in Broadripple at 1035 Broadripple Ave. It's across from the Kinkos. The place fascinates me because it has traditional American breakfast foods, like pancakes and bacon, and it also has authentic Mexican food like burritos and chile rellenos. It's a breakfast/Mexican place. I can't attest to the Mexican food part of Biscuits because I have only gone there for breakfast.


This place feels and looks like a traditional diner, with the classic diner chairs and tables. There is a small seating area outside, which is always a nice option. I ordered a diet coke, and it tasted kind of funny, like the soda/syrup mix was off. Hmmmm. Screwing up diet coke is not a good sign, and I was so hopeful because of the crushed ice it had. I love crushed iced. I ordered breakfast combo 7: two pieces of french toast, two eggs, and your choice of breakfast meat. I asked for my eggs to be scrambled and my meat to be bacon. Oh bacon, how I love thee...especially covered in maple syrup. I've been known to put a piece of bacon in the middle of my soup and fill the soup with maple syrup and suck it down like soup. Try it, you'll LOVE it. They had lots of good combos to chose from and they all cost $6.50 which I think is very affordable. Brian got combo 3 which was hash browns, eggs, toast, and bacon. Again, only $6.50. Contrary to the diet coke experience, the food was really good. Basic diner fare, nothing surprising or dazzling, but solidly good, which is exactly what you want sometimes, you know? I don't always need to have some hidden ingredient or elaborate presentation. Brian's food was exactly the same way-solid, dependably good, and predictable.


The waitstaff must divide their work differently than most places because I think we had three different waitresses at different times. It was fine, they all were like the food-solid and good. Refills came at good times, we were asked if we needed anything, the bill came quickly, I have no complaints.


Biscuits is a good place to go if you are looking for a classic diner/greasy spoon breakfast. If you are one of those people who think the best handover cure is a big breakfast full of simple carbs and breakfast meats, this is the place for you. In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw some people there who were struggling with the morning after oh-god-jagermeister-is-evil look on their faces, and I even saw some people nipping off of a Budweiser at 10:30am. Hair of the dog, anyone? Which reminds me, yes, they do have some bottled beer. I've never looked at it because beer before 5:00pm is a little sick-making to me, but hey I won't judge you (much) if you enjoy a Corona at 9:00am.


The only thing I feel a little sad about is that I didn't try the biscuits at Biscuits, but there's always a next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment