Wednesday, June 30, 2010

CSA week 1, day three

I need to use some veggies and fast so I decided to make a stir fry for dinner. I'm always worried that my CSA food will go bad before I can get to it and greens aren't known to keep well. When it gets later in the season the veggies are usually things that I can freeze but I know of no way to freeze greens. So with a ticking clock in my ear, I decided to go for the gusto and make a stir fry.



Wednesday Night Stir Fry



1 chicken breast

2 carrots cut into matchsticks

1 ear of corn with the kernels cut off

2 green onions, chopped

1/2 of a head of cabbage, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, diced

1/2 cup of frozen green beans

1 cup swiss chard, chopped

3 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce

3 tablespoons chicken stock

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

red pepper flake to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. In stir frys you always want to start with the ingredients that take the longest to cook first and in this cast, that's the carrots. Followed by the onions, chicken, green beans, cabbage, corn and then add the sauces, garlic, red pepper flake and finally fold in the swiss chard. Serve over rice.

The Results: This meal was savory, healthy and delicious. I was worried about the swiss chard, I thought that was a strange ingredient in a stir fry but it was very good. I give myself an A on this one.

The Breakdown: The corn, onion, swiss chard, and cabbage were all from the week's CSA. The chicken was from the farmer's market and I already had everything else purchased. A+.

No comments:

Post a Comment