
Yats! A delicious, inexpensive Indianapolis hot spot. My husband and I visited Yats located at 5363 N. College Ave. in southern Broadripple. This was not my first Yats experience and I have always thoroughly enjoyed myself. The menu is printed on a chalkboard behind the counter and you wait in line to order and then sit and wait until the food is brought out to you. Entrees range from around $4.00 for a half order and $6 for a 'half-and-half' (a half order of two entrees). Not sure of what you want? Ask for a sample of any entree! There is usually 2 or 3 vegetarian options as well as around 5 options that include either seafood or meat. Each dish is a stew or sauce based dish served over white rice. They have a small soda fountain that usually has at least one diet soda option and the best cherry Coke around.
I had the B&B, which stands for Black Beans and Caramelized Corn. So good! The sweet from the carmelized corn with the heat from the sauce and the thick mouthfeel (yes, I did just write 'thick mouthfeel') from the beans...my eyes rolled back in my head. What can I say? I was really hungry and a little hung over. Mmmmmm. Food in the morning after a late night of drinking...My husband had the White Chili. I tasted it and it was a super satisfying comfort food. It's chili, but not overly tomato-y like many chilis. I always enjoy the extensive selection of hot sauces also available to try. Today I tried Crystal hot sauce, a moderately spicy fruity hot sauce. As always, it was delicious. Yats always tastes slow cooked with fresh ingredients prepared by a knowledgeable hand.
The decor is a fun hodgepodge of memorabilia, brightly painted walls and mismatched chairs. It feels casual and relaxed. The staff is always friendly and fun, and sometimes boisterous. I've got to tell you ladies, the staff is usually male and attractive. Who doesn't want a little spice with her gumbo? Yats is also a great people watching destination. You get hippies, Hardcore Rock looking kids with their skinny leg pants and faux Chuck Taylors, Kessler-Meridan yuppies-who-kinda-want-to-be-hippies-only-with-SUVs, and Butler students (aka, Yuppy wanna be hippies in-training).
Yats is a fantastic option if you are looking for a fun, relaxed meal for a small price tag.

No comments:
Post a Comment