Saturday, July 10, 2010

Beet Update


Paul tried the first batch of beets and really liked them. I gave him permission to say they are terrible if they are with a guarantee it won't hurt my feelings. He says I should make more and sell them or barter them at the farmer's market. I'll take that as a sign of approval. I've since made another batch using apple cider vinegar and this week I used my beets in my CSA to make a third batch but this time with both red onion and chopped cabbage. I'll tell you how that turns out.


I think I might actually keep a jar of beets. I think some pickled beets might be good with cottage cheese. Something rich and creamy to balance out the earthiness of the beets. I'm going to give the rest to my mom and father-in-law- both pickled beet lovers.

By the way, my husband cooked dinner tonight. No CSA food in it. Don't blame me, blame him. Sometimes he is such a man. He thinks the two food groups are meat and starch. I won't complain, he's a very good cook and he eats every thing I cook- good, bad, or okay. He really only refuses to eat broccoli and I think everyone deserves a couple foods they just don't like or know. Now if only he loved to clean...
PS If you are keeping track, I have NOTHING left from last week and it was all used and none was wasted. This week I have 1 zucchini left, 1 yellow squash, a handful of green beans and one bunch of collard greens left. Perhaps it is time for some zucchini muffins...

No comments:

Post a Comment