Monday, July 26, 2010

To Alaska and back!

I've been gone on a family vacation to Alaska, which accounts for the lack of blogging. We went on a cruise and the food was pretty good, but I'm thrilled to be home and eating home cooked meals again. Last week a friend got my CSA and ate the food, so nothing went to waste, worry not!

This week we got zucchini, onions, tomatoes, corn, swiss chard, green peppers, and I think pepperoncinis.

I'm still too tired to go out on a a limb and do something creative and new so I just made marinated zucchini, corn, and garlic steak. We've seen all of these recipes before in this blog, but just in case:

Marinated Zucchini

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of salt and pepper
1 medium zucchini sliced about 1/4th inch on the bias

Marinate together for 15+ minutes and grill over high heat.

Corn

Boil for a couple minutes in water. Serve with butter, salt and pepper

Garlic Steak

2 steaks
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 tablespoon butter per steak

Allow steaks to come to room temperature. Heat skillet over high heat and add 1 tablespoon butter and allow the butter to melt and brown. Season the steaks with lots of salt and just a touch of pepper. Get a good crust on one side and turn. Add butter to the top of the steaks and add garlic. Cook until other side of steak is done and remove steak, trying to keep as much of the garlic on it as possible. Rest for a few minutes before serving.

The Results: Okay, I know it's simple, but it's really really good. We needed simple home cooked food after a week of heavy cruise food. The corn was possibly the best corn I've ever had in my life. Heavenly. I could have made a meal of a couple ears of corn. The zucchini was a little sour. I usually use white wine instead of balsamic vinegar and I support that decision, frankly. The vinegar was too strong for the zucchini. The steak was yummy and garlicy and buttery.

The Breakdown: The zucchini and corn was from my CSA. The steak was from the farmer's market. The garlic and butter was from the grocery and the balsamic vinegar was in my pantry. I give myself an A for this!

Perhaps when we are rested up I will get more creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment