Monday, July 5, 2010

New CSA box!

I know you've been waiting with baited breath- what is in this week's CSA box??? The wait is over! This week we have green beans, swiss chard, beets (bulbs and greens), collard greens, zucchini, and yellow squash.


Usually I like to use the food in order of what will go bad first but I wanted to give myself a 24 hour long break from greens. If you are what you eat, right now I'm a big green leaf sauteed with garlic and olive oil. It's not a terrible thing to be, but variety is the spice of life.


Tonight we made grilled corn, grilled marinated zucchini and Chicago style marinated steak.


The corn we wrapped in foil with butter, salt and pepper and stuck it on the grill. The steak was marinated with a Chicago style marinade from the grocery.


Marinated Zucchini


2 small zucchini sliced about 1/4 inch thick on the bias (more surface area less chance of losing them in the grill)

1/4 cup white wine

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 sprig rosemary, chopped fine

salt and pepper

2 cloves garlic, diced


Combine all ingredients in a plastic baggie and marinate for 30+ minutes. Grill over high heat, turning once. It's best with lots of char.


The results: Pretty darn good. I mean, it's just good simple food on a lazy Monday. Everything done on the grill, simple flavors. I think I'll try vinegar- white wine or balsamic- instead of wine next time in the zucchini marinade, but it was still darn good. I give it a B+.


The Breakdown: The zucchini was from my CSA. The corn and the steak was from the farmer's market. I already had garlic, olive oil, and white wine. The Chicago-style marinade was from the grocery store. That's pretty darn good, so I'll give myself an A-.


By the way, I pickled more beets but this time with apple cider vinegar. I used my last green onion from last week during the roasting phase. I'll let you know if the apple cider or the tarragon vinegar is better.


No comments:

Post a Comment